One of our favorite days is almost upon us and we want to provide you with some history of this wonderful day, along with the best places to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Atlanta, Georgia.
According to the recent U.S. Census’ American Community Survey, more Georgians claimed Irish bloodlines than any other European ancestry. That makes sense when you look at Georgia history. After James Oglethorpe arrived on the shores of Savannah, several ships filled with Irish settlers followed in the 1730s. These settlers were largely farmers looking for a promising new life in America. Georgia suited those hard-working Irishmen and by the 1800s, their labor dug canals and built railways that would connect communities throughout the region. St. Patrick was the patron saint of the Irish people, so it’s fitting that he is celebrated on his day throughout the U.S. and, especially, here in Georgia. The Providence Group is a Georgia-grown business founded on the legacy of laying a strong base of community in every neighborhood we build. In that spirit, we want to join you in shining a light on the best places to celebrate St. Patrick near your home.
Saint Patrick’s Day Celebrations in Metro Atlanta
Put on your best green frock, and head out to these events near our elevated Alpharetta, Suwanee, and Atlanta communities:
- The Luck of Avalon - this event kicks off on Thursday, March 16th for the party at the Avalon in Alpharetta. Join all the lads and lassies to Sham-ROCK the night away with live music from the Big Beyond on the Plaza. Enjoy the King O’Sullivan School of Dance performance of traditional Irish jigs. Enjoy the bagpipes of the Atlanta Pipe Band while getting your face painted in theme with the day.
- Throw an Irish Style Dinner party with the help of the Publix Aprons cooking class. Make dinner with an Irish flair. Then, head out for a pint in one of the many breweries that reside in Alpharetta.
- On the 18th, take that Luck of the Irish out for a good cause. ShamRocking For A Cure is a fabulous event to benefit the GA Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Sample dishes from more than 25 restaurants, enjoy a beverage from the open bar, take part in the live and silent auctions, and dance to the music of Justin Borgman. It’s a party with a purpose so have fun, while making a difference in the lives of many.
- In Suwanee, start the day with a boost and run the 2023 Luck of the Irish 5K. Race towards that pot of gold while raising funds for the National Hemophilia Foundation. Run in a kilt if you’re feeling the spirit!
- Head on to Still Fire Brewing for their St. Patrick’s Day Party featuring food from Big Butts BBQ, and delicious beer on tap starting at noon. Live music all day and into the night with local favorites delivering music you can dance a jig to! Wear your best St. Patty’s green!
If you wish to celebrate near our new homes in Grant Place, check out what Atlanta has to offer. Try one of these traditional Irish Pubs for a pint of Guinness, a true corned beef and cabbage, or a sweet Irish Toast. Do a wee bit of wine tasting at the Epicurean or take the kids on a slimy adventure at the Sloomoo Institute.
Celebrate Your Way
No matter how you choose to recognize St. Patrick’s Day, we hope that you will remember his mission to unite a community. At The Providence Group, we couldn’t agree more. Our intention is to build a community that joins together, celebrates, and lives life elevated.